International Open Data day is close to us, more than 100 countries are celebrating this day by doing hackathon and other activities in their region.
What is International Open Data Hackathon?
It’s a gathering of citizens in cities around the world to write applications, liberate data, create visualizations and publish analyses using open public data to show support for and encourage the adoption open data policies by the world’s local, regional and national governments
What is open Data?
Open data is data that anyone is free to use, reuse and redistribute without restriction (except, perhaps the requirements to attribute and sharealike).
We can summed like “A piece of data or content is open if anyone is free to use, reuse, and redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement to attribute and/or share-alike.”
Why this open Data Day?
- Learn about open data.
- Find out how your local and national government could do more to release open data.
- Engage NGO, INGO and private companies in the uses of open data for the products and missions
- Meet & network with tons of cool people in your city and around the world.
- Voice your opinion & share your ideas with the people and media attending.
- Find out about apps being created, and get to play around with them as well
- Help out with parts of the conceptualization, creation, design, advertisement and testing of apps.
- Conduct an open tutorial sessions around using open data,like learning how to customize maps to show the data you want to show.
- Have lots and lots of fun.
Who is this Event for?
This event is open for everyone, so if you want to learn about how to analyze these open data, if you have something in your mind to use open data, if you want to code something and make it useful for everyone, if you know how to make thing better look it, if you want to find the interesting place to contribute or you just like to know what is happen around you can join in event… no matter your skillset or interests.
How this will work?
- This will happen in 23rd Feb Saturday.
- It should be Open, anybody can in and out.
- Anybody can organize.
- Anybody can hack on anything that appeal opendata.
- Share ideas across city on the day.
What do we plan in Nepal?
For the first time, we are planning to celebrate this day in Nepal. YIPL, Open DRI Nepal and Mozilla Nepal with co-organization of Wikipedia Nepal, FOSS Nepal, IOE, KU, OSAC and other organization we are planning to do some hackathon, mapathon, wikiedithon and some other interaction program.
Details will come later
More Information will be in http://opendataday.org/