As I already discuss about introduction of e-Government in my previous blogs. Where I regard egovernment as the use of information and communications technologies (ICT) to transform the traditional government by making it accessible, transparent, effective and accountable. E-government does not give any meaning of putting a numbers of computers on the desks of government officials and also It is not limited on just a government website on the Internet. More then this Political, social, economic and technological aspects determine e-governance. It establishes a relationship between government officials , citizens and Business, and this provide a greater access to government information and services by making the government accessible online; promoting citizen participation by enabling citizens to interact more conveniently with government officials. I again thanks to Dr. Madan P. Pariyar and Rajesh Shakya.
Why e-Government in Nepal?
We often listened a sound about “New Nepal”. Every politician make this word a slogan and make their sound loud in the mass. We are in the transition period in process of building “New Nepal”. But this word should not become only a popular slogan as most of politician do. People have some trust and aspirations with this word “New Nepal” that geared towards the peace and progress. There are many dimensions streamlined and drivers identified to make our “New Nepal” dreams come true. One of such dimensions is the reformation of the government. That means to say governance and its service process should be well reengineered to fulfill the aspirations of its citizens. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and its tools can help its effective and efficient transformation.
• e-government helps simplify processes and makes access to government information more easily accessible for public sector agencies and citizens
• greater citizen participation on government works.
• e-government allows citizens to interact with computers to achieve objectives at any time and any location, and eliminates the necessity for physical travel to government agents sitting behind desks and windows
• e-government include efficiency, improved services, better accessibility of public services, and more transparency and accountability
• support economic growth and reduce poverty by improving ICT accessibilities and developing e-government applications
• provide better and efficient Service to the Public
• prove government as an efficient good Government
• E-Government can fulfil the mandate of government formulating a new vision of how government views its citizens, employees and businesses, and building a citizen-centred, service-oriented, public-participative government with efficient, accountable, transparent and performance government system.
• provide citizen-centered services for improving citizens’ convenience, including: provision of on-line public service, provision of multi-channel delivery
• provide transparent services for facilitating business activity, including: provision of one-stop public service, disclosure of administrative information and processes
• ICT based online service is the most democratic and unbiased service system. It offers equal opportunity to all races, genders, ethnic groups.
• to provide networked services for efficient administration, including: computerization and integration, standardization of government administration
• E-Government breaks the barrier of geographical diversity and makes the government services handy to all citizens at villages who are even not connected by roads and opens up many opportunities
• It’s important to empower and motivate government employees to expect better service from them